Sunday, November 07, 2004

Heavy.

"There's that word again; 'heavy'. Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the earth's gravitational pull?" - Doc Brown, Back to the Future

There's nothing wrong with the earth's gravitational pull as far as I know, but my gravitational pull is too strong. Yes, that's a geeky way of saying that I'm fat. I don't really like that word, but that's the ugly truth.

This has nothing to do with a poor self-image, not being brainwashed by the world's marketing departments that say I'm not one of the "beautiful people": the fact of the matter is that I could lose 100 lbs right now and still be overweight. I owe it to myself, and to my family, to improve my health by losing weight and exercising. Right now I don't have any major health issues aside from hypopnea, but life is funny in how things can go wrong without warning.

I want to be around for my kids' graduations, their weddings, their accomplishments. I want to meet my grandchildren. Heck, I'd like a chance to see my great-grandchildren. I want to live long enough to be truly considered a grumpy old man (instead of the grumpy 30-something man I am today). If I don't make some significant changes in the way I live, I'm just asking for trouble.

Time for some brutal honesty. I'm going to try to post daily on my blog, talk about what I do (or not) to make these changes. I'm going to admit my failures (watch for this, there's gonna be a lot of them). And hopefully, as time goes on, I'll be able to point to my progress and my successes.

Tomorrow, I begin. Oh no... Monday... cinnamon buns for coffee break at the office... be strong, be strong...

No comments: